Re: GiST index question: performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: GiST index question: performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Steve Midgley wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> :)
>
> All my Pg code is written via (or handed to) an abstraction layer, and I
> actually write no functions or stored procedures at all. I write using Rails,
> so in this case it's a Ruby library called ActiveRecord which has a Postgres
> module that allows me to talk via "ActiveRecord-speak" or via direct Postgres
> sql commands. (For example, AR has no idea how to create a GiST index, so I
> issue that DDL statement manually using the special syntax - also AR is not
> always so smart about SQL queries so tricky ones I write by hand).
>
> Maybe I misunderstand Q3C completely but it looks like C code that has to be
> installed into the Postgres server itself - not a series of SQL functions
> that can implemented on an unmodified server. I think my ISP is fine with
> anything that gets installed via user-level privileges. Anything that
> requires root and/or anything that involves binary code they are more
> cautious about.

Q3C as a contrib module doesn't require root priviliges, you could
compile it in your home directory ! The only issue is that you should have
pg superuser rights, but you can always ask somebody with such rights
to install compiled module to your database.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83