Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> That's not a good sign...

   Yup.

> Have you created a bug ticket on this with the error?  You need to try to
> get some form of communication going with the project developers if you're
> ever going to get postgresql support.

   I had been exchanging e-mail with the developer focusing on getting
postgres to work. Don't know why it went away.

> My personal recommendation would be to get some type of official
> commitment that they will support postgresql in the mainline code, and
> then start sending small patches that fix issues you come up with (as
> opposed to the one big "here is postgres support" patch).  You can then
> judge if they are honestly going to support postgresql by how quickly
> these patches get committed.

   Upon the developer's request, I went through all the .php files in the
access control directory and made sure that all references to table and
attribute names were in lower case. I've since learned that this does not
matter; postgres folds all mixed case names one way and mysql the other, so
the changes are really not necessary. It seems to be more an issue of using
mysql-specific extensions and language, some of which may use postgres
reserved words.

> If you need technical support for specific error, your probably better off
> asking for help on something like pgsql-php@ mailing list.  While this
> type of development is great as an advocacy tool, we've yet to get anyone
> to put resources behind it, and it's more of a technical problem once you
> get to discussing specific error messages.

   I'll go back to the xrms lead and ask again -- politely, of course -- what
plans they have, especially since the forum from more than a year ago claims
the application works with postgres. I've sent the error messages I see, and
the actions that generated them; it's not like I'm asking them to guess the
number I have in mind.

Thanks, Robert,

Rich