Re: segfault on rollback - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sergey E. Koposov
Subject Re: segfault on rollback
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Sergey E. Koposov" <math@sai.msu.ru> writes:
>> I recently have seen the segfault with Postgres 8.1.4.
>
> I'm betting that portal->sourceText has already been deallocated when
> exec_execute_message tries to print the log message.  Getting an actual
> segfault from that would very probably be hard to reproduce, but if you
> build with --enable-cassert it should not be too hard to reproduce
> corruption of the log message, ie, display of garbage instead of
> "ROLLBACK" as the command text.  Please try that and see if you can
> generate a self-contained test case.

I succeeded to get the self contained case, but in java (it is just 15
lines,  but it crashes the backend). (probably I should forward the mail
pgsql-jdbc...)

import java.sql.*;
public class xx
{        public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception        {
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");       Connection dbcon =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/template1","postgres","");
dbcon.setAutoCommit(false);       Statement stmt = dbcon.createStatement();        stmt.execute("create table xx(a int,
bdouble precision)");        dbcon.rollback();        }

}

I'm not sure that it is possible to reproduce without java, since JDBC do
its own query preparing and a lot of other stuff internally which
should be non trivial to reproduce without jdbc...

Regards,    Sergey

Sergey E. Koposov
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
Tel: +49-6221-528-349
Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
E-mail: math@sai.msu.ru