Re: Rows with exclusive lock - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Martin Marques
Subject Re: Rows with exclusive lock
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Martin Marques escribió:
>>
>> After the SELECT FOR UPDATE other transactions can still see the locked
>> rows. I want a read/write lock, so no one can access does rows.
>
> SELECT FOR UPDATE acquires an exclusive lock, but other transactions
> must try to acquire a lock on the rows as well, or they won't be locked.
> You can try using SELECT FOR SHARE (new as of 8.1) if you want some
> transactions to hold shared (read) locks.

Sorry for not getting it clear the first time.

What I want is something like "LOCK table IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE", but
at row level.

> IOW, SELECT FOR UPDATE blocks other SELECTs FOR UPDATE and SELECTs FOR
> SHARE, but it does not block plain SELECT.

So, this is not posible. :-(

-- 21:50:04 up 2 days,  9:07,  0 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.37, 0.18
Universidad Nacional        |   DBA, Programador,    del Litoral             |   Administrador