What to do with 6 disks? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Frost
Subject What to do with 6 disks?
Date
Re: What to do with 6 disks?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: What to do with 6 disks?  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Now that we've hashed out which drives are quicker and more money equals
faster...

Let's say you had a server with 6 separate 15k RPM SCSI disks, what raid
option would you use for a standalone postgres server?

a) 3xRAID1 - 1 for data, 1 for xlog, 1 for os?
b) 1xRAID1 for OS/xlog, 1xRAID5 for data
c) 1xRAID10 for OS/xlong/data
d) 1xRAID1 for OS, 1xRAID10 for data
e) .....

I was initially leaning towards b, but after talking to Josh a bit, I suspect
that with only 4 disks the raid5 might be a performance detriment vs 3 raid 1s
or some sort of split raid10 setup.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/