Re: blob storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: blob storage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Travis Harris wrote:

> I would like to use P* to store files.  These files will probably range
> from 500K to 2 MB in size and there will be thousands upon thousands of
> them. I was wondering how P* stores blobs, if it is all in one file, or if
> each blob is sored in it's own file. The reason being, I know that windows
> has a 2 GB limit on files, and if they are not stored as their own files,
> I'll hit my limit FAST... and it'll do me no good... If this is going to be
> a problem, does anyone have any suggestions?

Travis,

   I'll assume that "P*" is IM for postgres, eh?

   PostgreSQL-7.x on the 2.2.x kernel series has a limit of 2G. However, on
the 2.4.x kernels the limit is 2T; postgres-8.x on the 2.4.x kernels can
store 4T per table.

   If that pinches your need, I'd love to be selling you storage solutions.
:-)

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President