Re: Random not so random - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Colombo
Subject Re: Random not so random
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 18:58:41 +0200,
>  Marco Colombo <pgsql@esiway.net> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, that should be done each time the random() function
>> is evaluated. (I have no familiarity with the code, so please
>
> That may be overkill, since I don't think that random has been advertised
> as a secure or even particularly strong random number generator.
>
>> bear with me if the suggestion is unsound). I'd even add a parameter
>> for "really" random data to be provided, by reading /dev/random
>> instead of /dev/urandom (but read(2) may block).
>
> You don't want to use /dev/random. You aren't going to get better random
> numbers that way and blocking reads is a big problem.

Sure you are. As far as the entropy pool isn't empty, /dev/random
won't block, and thus there's no difference in behaviour.
When you're short of random bits, /dev/random blocks, /dev/urandom
falls back to a PRNG + hash (I think SHA1). Under these conditions,
/dev/urandom output has 0 "entropy" at all: an attacker can predict
the output after short observation provided that he can break SHA1.
That is, anything that uses /dev/urandom (when the kernel pool is
empty) is just as safe as SHA1 is.

I agree that for a general purpose 'good' random() function,
/dev/urandom is enough (as opposed to a plain-old PRNG).
In some applications, you may need the extra security provided
by /dev/random: its output (_when_ is available) it's always
truly random (as long as you trust the kernel, of course - there
have been bugs in the past in Linux about overestimating the randomness
of certain sources, but they've been corrected AFAIK).

>> How about the following:
>> random() = random(0) = traditional random()
>> random(1) = best effort random() via /dev/urandom
>> random(2) = wait for really random bits via /dev/random
>
> It might be nice to have a secure random function available in postgres.
> Just using /dev/urandom is probably good enough to provide this service.

Why not all of them. The problem is how to handle a potentially
blocking read in /dev/random (actually _any_ disk read may block
as well). Just warn people not to use random(2) unless they really
know what they're doing...

I don't think the read syscall overhead is noticeable (in Linux at least).
But for sure we can't afford to _open_ /dev/urandom each time...
backends will have to keep an extra fd open just for /dev/urandom... hmm...
I can't think of any better way of doing that.

.TM.
--
      /      /       /            Marco Colombo