Re: timestamp no fractional seconds - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Metcalf
Subject Re: timestamp no fractional seconds
Date
Re: timestamp no fractional seconds
List pgsql-general
b == brandon@geronimoalloys.com writes:

 b> I need to create a table with two columns of type timestamp but I
 b> don't want to store any fractional part of the seconds field.  So,
 b> I created a table with:

 b>   CREATE TABLE timeclock (
 b>       timeclock_id  SERIAL,
 b>       employee_id   INTEGER,
 b>       clockin       TIMESTAMP[0]    NOT NULL,
 b>       clockout      TIMESTAMP[0]    DEFAULT NULL,

 b>       PRIMARY KEY (timeclock_id),

 b>       FOREIGN KEY (employee_id)
 b>           REFERENCES employee
 b>           ON DELETE RESTRICT
 b>           ON UPDATE CASCADE
 b>   );

 b> Am I creating the table correctly?  If so, how do I insert or update
 b> rows?

I suppose my question really boils down to how do I cast the timestamp
with no fractional seconds part?  For example, if I have a table where
I haven't put a limit on the fractional seconds part, how would I
select the timestamp without fractional seconds?

  gms=> select clockin from timeclock;

            clockin
  ----------------------------
   2009-06-02 11:34:21.314392
  (1 row)

  gms=> select clockin::timestamp without time zone[0] from timeclock;
  ERROR:  cannot cast type timestamp without time zone to timestamp without time zone[]
  LINE 1: select clockin::timestamp without time zone[0] from timecloc...
                          ^
  gms=> select clockin::timestamp[0] from timeclock;
  ERROR:  cannot cast type timestamp without time zone to timestamp without time zone[]
  LINE 1: select clockin::timestamp[0] from timeclock;

--
Brandon