Re: backup problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jyry Kuukkanen
Subject Re: backup problem
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, 4 May 2006, Rodrigo Sakai wrote:

>   Hi, I'm trying to do a backup of a database that is larger then 4 GB. But it gets an error when the file size gets
1.2GB! I think its an Operational System problem (linux)! So, I want to know if exists some solution to backup my
database??

>   The command that I used was=
>
>   pg_dump -U postgres -d dbdeveloper -a -v -D -f 'backup.sql'
>
>   The operational system is linux with etx filesystem, and the version of postgres is 7.4!!

You can try:

pg_dump -U postgres -d dbdeveloper -a -v -D |bzip2 -c >backup.sql.bz2

bzip2 compresses better than gzip.

Restoration:

bzcat backup.sql.bz2|psql - postgres -d dbdeveloper

Cheers,
--
--Jyry