Re: Recovery will take 10 hours - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Recovery will take 10 hours
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Brendan Duddridge wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Hmm... ktrace -p PID -c returns immediately without doing anything
> unless I've previously done a ktrace -p PID.
>
> According to the man page for ktrace's -c flag:
>    -c      Clear the trace points associated with the specified file
> or processes.

On other systems, strace/truss with -c produces a list of sys calls with
the number of times they've been called in the elapsed period.

To answer your other question, temporarily disabling fsync during the
recovery should speed it up.

For future reference, processing thousands of WAL files for recovery is
not ideal. You should be doing a base backup much more often.

Gavin