Mambo/Joomla (CMS) on PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Jensen
Subject Mambo/Joomla (CMS) on PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
   Hi All,

  I have been using PostgreSQL ever since version 6.3 and are very happy
about it. Many of our company corporate registration systems are based on
PostgreSQL and are web based using PHP.

  Unfortunately someone has decided that our (external) homepage(s) are
gonna use the Mambo CMS system which is originated on MySql. We are now
running it successfully for our new homepages (all on the outside of our
firewall, for now).

  This makes things a bit akward, especially if/when we want to make some
of our internal stuff accessible to the outside world. We do NOT want to
maintain/administer 2 DBMS'es for many reasons, e.g. security. I am using
some specific stored procedures in my internal systems, but those part
will probably never have to be "exported".

  I wonder if someone in the PostgreSQL community already successfully
have been using Mambo or Joomla based on PostgreSQL. The concern here is
for keeping things standard (no or at least very few local patches to make
things work) as well as the concern for 3rd party plugins/modules to work.
We are at the moment using mambo version 4.5.x and PostgreSQL 7.4.5, but
an upgrade to 8.0.x would be ok I think. I have seen that Mambo version
5.x is supposed to have support for other databases, but I haven't been
able to see any reports on that yet. But the fork of Mambo/Joomla makes
this more difficult to get a decision on moving to Mambo 5, I'm afraid.
There are also a time issue for me, since we have to put up some other
services apart from mambo before the end of the year.

  I am looking for arguments in terms of "why are PostgreSQL a better
choice for security reasons, standards (SQLXX standard) reasons, DBMS
handling, and ease of use with Mambo etc." Why do we have to get Mambo
running on PostgreSQL in stead of MySql ? I would just hate to have to
abandone PostgreSQL in favour of MySql.

  Does anyone have some good links to comparisons of MySql and PostgreSQL?
I'm not too much concerned about performance (both are pretty good for
our purposes), commitment to standards are much more of a concern.

  Any comments are very welcome. It could be some rather small thing that
will "tip the cup".

  Greetings,

 Leif