Re: enable/disable trigger (Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] Open items) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: enable/disable trigger (Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] Open items)
Date
Re: enable/disable trigger (Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] Open items)  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a first patch to allow these commands.
>
> > ALTER TABLE <table> ENABLE TRIGGER <trigname>
> > ALTER TABLE <table> DISABLE TRIGGER <trigname>

Hmmm.. just thinking about it for a second. I wonder if we should also
support:

ALTER TABLE DISABLE TRIGGERS

which would disable all triggers on the table. We would have a
complimentary ENABLE TRIGGERS as well, obviously. The reason I say this is
that the common case will be that people are doing a bulk load and want to
disable all triggers. However, this will be very useful for debugging
interactions between triggers on a table so a user might want to disable
only one of many triggers -- as your current grammar does.

Perhaps a way of making the grammar a little less ambiguous would be to
have the following to disable all triggers:

ALTER TABLE <table> DISABLE TRIGGERS

and the following to disable one:

ALTER TRIGGER <trigger> DISABLE

Just an idea.