Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Grant Finnemore wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> Although I have not read the SQL 2003 spec, my recollection of other database
> products' stored procs differed from your description in one significant way,
> namely that they could return multiple (and varied) sets of rows.
>
> For example, a stored proc could do a SELECT over foo and then a SELECT over
> bar and return the tuples of both foo and bar. (each having different column
> counts, types, etc)
>
> The JDBC interfaces would appear to illustrate this point.
> (In CallableStatement)
>
> "A CallableStatement can return one ResultSet object or multiple ResultSet
> objects. Multiple ResultSet objects are handled using operations inherited
> from Statement."

I read the JDBC 3.0 spec and didn't see this. Like with all specs, some
details are hard to find. However, from what I've seen in the spec, I
think they have functions in mind here. That being said, I can't think how
SQL2003 would allow such behaviour. If you could show us an example,
that'd be great.

Thanks,

Gavin