Re: beta2 rpms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jon Jensen
Subject Re: beta2 rpms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Sorry, I've been kindof swamped around here.  Please name them using, say, a
> 'JC' instead of 'PGDG' if you don't mind.  I appreciate you providing these;
> however, I do intend to be releasing RPM's soon, but probably not beta2 ones.
> I have some features I want to work on first, and just simply have not yet
> had the time to do it.

Lamar,

I've been meaning to ask for a long time: Why does /var/log/pgsql get
installed with the execute bit set? I don't have any other log files with
the execute bit on, and can't imagine why that would be necessary or
useful. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a reason that the init script defaults to redirecting
stdout and stderr to /dev/null instead of to /var/log/pgsql? If the DBA
doesn't turn on logging in postgresql.conf, then very little output goes
to /var/log/pgsql, usually of an important nature like "stopped" or
"started" at a certain date. I normally change that first thing after a
new install.

Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jon