Re: beta2 rpms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: beta2 rpms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 02 September 2004 16:27, Jon Jensen wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask for a long time: Why does /var/log/pgsql get
> installed with the execute bit set? I don't have any other log files with
> the execute bit on, and can't imagine why that would be necessary or
> useful. Am I missing something?

Hmmmm.... I've set the wrong permission mask in the %files list, apparently.

> Also, is there a reason that the init script defaults to redirecting
> stdout and stderr to /dev/null instead of to /var/log/pgsql?

The intent was t use syslog.  The new log rotation scheme will likely be
tapped this time around, though.

> If the DBA
> doesn't turn on logging in postgresql.conf, then very little output goes
> to /var/log/pgsql, usually of an important nature like "stopped" or
> "started" at a certain date. I normally change that first thing after a
> new install.

Normally the first thing I do is enable and set up syslog support.  This way I
can use my established syslog infrastructure, where really important log
messages not only get logged to disk but get PRINTED.  Logs that print are
difficult for intruders to mess with, and once one has an established syslog
server it's trivial to send all logs from all servers to the one central
logging server.  I have done this a long time.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology