Re: ShmemAlloc errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: ShmemAlloc errors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Nick Burrett wrote:

> > It would be worth revisiting this and trying to understand where the
> > performance problem is, rather than just assuming that you have to work
> > around it.
>
> Luckily my CVS tree has such information. Basically this database holds
> samples of the number of bytes transferred in a five minute period for 3
> months for 3000 servers.  The data is used for billing purposes which
> work on bytes transferred in a month, so things like RRD and MRTG are
> not suitable.  Five minute data is useful for spotting unusual traffic
> patterns such that you might get from DoS attacks.

I use PostgreSQL for counting network traffic, I use a sample every five
minutes. Because my queries became too slow I simply added another table
that holds the data per day. Every day, yesterday's data get added,
inserted into the "day"-table and deleted from the 5-minutes-table. I
don't need the 5 minutes accuracy for all of the data.