Re: suggestions to improve postgresql suitability for - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: suggestions to improve postgresql suitability for
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > You want to process all invoices to count them and to sum up the
> > amounts on a per month/area/type basis. The initial data size is in
> > GB, but the size of the expected result is in KB (namely 2 data for
> > each 100 areas * 12 months * 4 types).
>
> The key to handling large datasets for data mining is pre-aggregation
> based on the smallest time frame needed for details. I'd suggest running
> these large queries and storing the results in other tables, and then
> writing a set of functions to work with those aggregate tables.

Sure, that's what I do. I do not want to pay several joins on 120M tuples.

However, the one or few "initial" queries take some time and a lot of
space, hence my mail about temporary storage and 'on the fly' data
fetching to help improve both speed and temporary storage requirements
for this type of application.

> No sense in summing up the same set of static data more than once if you
> can help it.

Sure. I never did that.

Thanks for your advices anyway,

--