Re: [BUGS] BUG #2171: Differences compiling plpgsql in ecpg and psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Klosterman
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #2171: Differences compiling plpgsql in ecpg and psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
As to my opinion on affecting any work-arounds:  I got around this issue
by not line wrapping my long strings in "EXEC SQL ..." statements that
ecpg processes.

I would edit the plpgsql function that I was writing in an external
editor, make sure it installed by copy&paste into the psql window, and
then doctoring the quotes and removing the line breaks so that ecpg would
accept the function and the compiled C code would install it.  This made
for some crufty looking code in my editor, but it worked.

If the patched code takes care of eating line breaks then it shouldn't
make any difference to my all-on-one-line solution.  Not yet having tried
the patched code, I can only assume that I could now "beautify" my code by
inserting line breaks and do away with the external editor and copy&paste
procedures.  :-)

If anyone has heard of other work-arounds for the situation, I'm happy to
hear about them and offer an opinion!

<snip>

--Andrew J. Klosterman
andrew5@ece.cmu.edu