Re: Problem with too short column - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Sam Barnett-Cormack
Subject Re: Problem with too short column
Date
List pgsql-admin
Truncate it in the applications? Create an SQL function with pg-perl or
something?

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 Thomas.AUBRY@limagrain.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I actually try to insert varchar which length is higher than 32 in a column
> which type is varchar(32). I can't change the type of the column, and I
> want to trunc the data. I know it's possible ! I have seen this !
>
> Example : "j'aime les saucisses avec du beurre dedans" will be "j'aime les
> saucisses avec du beu". For the moment it produces a SQL Error !
>
> Is it an option in the config files ?
>
> I'm using Postgresql 7.2.2.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> TOm

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths
UK Mirror Service (http://www.mirror.ac.uk)  |  Lancaster University