problems with renaming a column of type serial & pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From alexis@m2osw.com
Subject problems with renaming a column of type serial & pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Name: Alexis Wilke
  email: alexis@m2osw.com
  PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
  Operating System: Linux RedHat 9.0
  Short Description: problems with renaming a column of type serial
                     and GRANT/REVOKE instructions in pg_dump
  Details:

Hi guys,

I have been working on a database for a while and just today tried to
restore a dump of it. (I have an automatic dump created every night for
safe keeping).

This is when I noticed a problem with several columns of type serial which
I had renamed. The sequence functioning worked fine, but the sequence
references in the GRANT/REVOKE commands weren't renamed.

According to the release notes of version 8.1.0, Tom has fixed it, however
he mentions problems with DEFAULT values and not GRANT/REVOKE. So I'm
still posting this bug in case the fix was not enough for the entire
functionality of a database.

Please, see the attached .sql file which includes instructions on how
to run it

--

Alexis Wilke
President

e-mail:        alexis@m2osw.com
cell-text:    alexis.cell@m2osw.com (please, only small messages)

Web Page:    http://www.m2osw.com
Company e-mail:    contact@m2osw.com
Phone:        +(1) 916 220 6482
Fax:        +(1) 916 988 1450

Address 1:    9275 Blue Oak Drive
        Orangevale, California 95662
        United States of America

Address 2:    2nd Floor, Hammersmith Broadway
        Hammersmith
        London W6 7BB
        United Kingdom

                    CONFIDENTIAL

This document contains non-public proprietary information
that is subject to restrictions on use and/or disclosure.

If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
think that you have received this e-mail message in error,
please e-mail the sender and delete all copies. Thank you.