Re: SHOW ALL output too wide - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: SHOW ALL output too wide
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > OTOH, what's the relationship between \show and Martijn's wide output
> > patch?  Maybe the problem can be solved in a different way.
>
> What does \show do that SHOW does not?

It could do several things. For example \show could omit the description
column and \show+ can include it. One could let \show support a pattern
just like we do for table names in \d.

Other then that I don't know right now what it would do. Maybe if you show
a single variable it could show the maximum and minimum value if such
exist.

My main problem with SHOW as it is in 8.1 is that the output is so wide
that it's very hard to read the output.

Is there any use for SHOW except in interactive psql sessions?

--
/Dennis Björklund