SHOW ALL output too wide - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject SHOW ALL output too wide
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've noticed that in 8.1 the output of SHOW ALL includes a description
column. This makes the output very wide which makes it hard to use from
psql (I need to make the terminal window 164 characters wide to not get
any line wrapping). I wish I would have noticed this before 8.0 was out
and then I would have voted no.

Also, how come it's not implemented by a \show command in psql that
queries pg_settings. Then it would work like most other commands. And one
could have a \show+ command that include the description.

Actually, I'm going to implement a \show command and send to -patches and
then SHOW can even be deprecated (if we want). SHOW is just a command line
client command, that is implemented in the server. That is not how we
normally do things in pg (for example, we have \d instead of a server
DESCRIBE command).

--
/Dennis Björklund