Re: extract epoch bug - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: extract epoch bug
Date
List pgsql-bugs
O Hans Olav Eggestad Ýãñáøå óôéò Jul 5, 2005 :

> I've just installed v8.0.3 and tested the 'epoch' part of extract, which for
> my applications is fundamental. here is the result:
>
> jova=# select extract(epoch from timestamp '19700102')\g
>  date_part
>  -----------
>     82800
> (1 row)
>
> jova=# select extract(epoch from timestamp '19700101')\g
> date_part
> -----------
>     -3600
> (1 row)
>
> jova=# select extract(epoch from timestamp with time zone '19700101')\g
>      date_part
> -----------
>     -3600
> (1 row)
>
> jova=# select extract(epoch from timestamp without time zone '19700101')\g
>    date_part
> -----------
>     -3600
> (1 row)

I get pretty much of the same (with the respective 2 hours difference)
for EST TZ, on pgsql 7.4.6.

If you do

dynacom=# SET TimeZone TO UTC;
dynacom=# select extract(epoch from timestamp without time zone
'1970-01-01 00:00:00.000');
 date_part
-----------
         0
(1 row)

dynacom=# select extract(epoch from timestamp without time zone
'1970-01-01 00:00:04.000');
 date_part
-----------
         4
(1 row)

dynacom=#
dynacom=# select extract(epoch from timestamp without time zone
'1970-01-01 01:00:00.000');
 date_part
-----------
      3600
(1 row)

dynacom=# select extract(epoch from timestamp without time zone
'1970-01-02 00:00:00.000');
 date_part
-----------
     86400
(1 row)

Notice that:

dynacom=# select extract(epoch from timestamp with time zone '1970-01-01
00:00:00.000+0');
 date_part
         0
That might do the trick for you, altho with a first glance
i think that this should behave the same way as
the without time zone version, but it doesnt.

> the time zone here is 1 hour before GMT, so i guess it has something to do with that, but i have to have this
functioncorrect. hope i can get a patch for this soon. (BTW i've not tested this in earlier versions, but i'm now going
tomake posgres version of my sybase applications)

-Achilleus