Re: SO_KEEPALIVE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: SO_KEEPALIVE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 16 May 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> > How come we don't set SO_KEEPALIVE in libpq?
> > Is there any reason why we wouldn't want it on?
>
> Is there any reason we *would* want it on?  The server-side keepalive
> should be sufficient to get whatever useful impact it might have.

Wouldn't the client also want to know that the server is not there
anymore? I talked to Gaetano Mendola (I think, but you never know on irc
:-) and he had some clients that had been hanging around for 3 days after
the server had been down and later up again (stuck in recv).

Server-side keepalive is enough for the server to clean up when clients
disapears, but this do nothing to help clients detect that the server is
gone. So I don't see what server side keepalive has to do with it.

--
/Dennis Björklund