Re: pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgFoundry
Date
Re: pgFoundry  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:

>>Look at other major OSS
>>projects. They have these things in place. Even the Linux kernel has a
>>bugzilla (although I am not advocating bugzilla). Not to mention KDE,
>>Gnome, Debian..
>>

>>These projects also have reasonably defined milestones for particular
>>releases and show status of those milestones during the release.
>>

>Virtually all OSS projects I am involved with publish a generalized road map
>online.   Some are more organized than others.
>
>PostgreSQL has a different culture, this is true.

I don't think anybody is arguing for a radical change in culture -
certainly I would not be so presumptuous after only a couple of years
:-)  But a roadmap could be useful in many ways. It need not tie anybody
down, if positioned right, but can help people to see where things are
going, and where the gaps are. This could in a sense be as simple as
prioritising the TODO list. Right now anybody who wants to contribute
and looks at the list has no idea if the item is considered important or
even if it is still thought to be desirable. There are many changes that
can be rung on this theme - you would probably want to keep the "roadmap
process" as light as possible for the cultural reasons you mention.

cheers

andrew