Re: adding and compiling new code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: adding and compiling new code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Martha Chronopoulou wrote:

> recompile the new source code that I  added in some .c files. I suspect
> that there  must be a quicker way to compile those files than executing
> the commands: ./configure, gmake, gmake install... . Could I use only
> some  Makefiles (the correspodent ones)  that  there are in each
> directory? If yes, how should I use them?

After one have made the first compile and install, it's usually enough to
just compile and install a part of pg. For example if you have changed
something in psql then you run "make" followed by "make install" in the
psql subdirectory of the source.

Some changes demand a full new compile ("make clean" and sometimes "make
distclean") and some changes demand that you do initdb again, but in most
cases one can just compile a part of pg. Then install that part and
restart the server.

I have a fairly slow computer (800 MHz) and I use ccache which make it
much faster to rebuild pg then without. A big difference. I still want a
faster computer, but we don't get all we want I'm afraid :-)

--
/Dennis Björklund