Re: charset/collation in values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: charset/collation in values
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I think the number of charset/collation combinations will be relatively
> > few so perhaps it would be space efficient to maintain a table where
> > each combination is given an oid and have string values store that
> > rather than two separate oid's?
>
> In fact, we should do our best to get the overhead down to 1 or 2 bytes.
> Two OIDs (8 bytes) is ridiculous.

Just to be clear, we don't want to store it on disk no matter what since
it should be enough to store it once for each column. As a first solution
we could store it just to keep it simple until we have tried it out.

--
/Dennis Björklund