Re: How to add locale support for each column? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: How to add locale support for each column?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 19 Sep 2004, Greg Stark wrote:

> don't think that's an argument for postgres to reimplement portions of the OS.
> If the OS locale handling is slow on some OS's then postgres should just warn
> its users that using locales on those OS's will be slow.
>
> In any case I suspect more than just the glibc implementation cache locales in
> memory at this point. It seems like just too obvious a feature and more and
> more applications require locale switching to be fast anyways.

Still, we want the final solution to be what the sql standard specify. A
function as the proposed is however useful until a standard sql solution
is implemented. I've used a similar function for some projects and it have
worked well for me also.

I think such a function fits perfect in contrib.

--
/Dennis Björklund