Re: finding if a foreign key is in use - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: finding if a foreign key is in use
Date
List pgsql-sql
O kyrios Phil Endecott egrapse stis Jul 1, 2004 :

There's an alternative approach to take.
Educate your users to be familiar with PostgreSQL error messages
(E.g.
ERROR: update or delete on "vessels" violates foreign key constraint "$1"
on "certificates"
)

> >>Basically you do have to do this search.  But it won't be too slow if you
> >>create an index on the foreign key.
> >
> > pity. thought postgres would have some function like 'in_use' to tell when a
> > row that is used as a foreign key is in actual use and hence cannot be
> > deleted. surely, in a database of millions of records, it wouldnt have search
> > them all to find if the row is in use?
>
> It doesn't "search them all" if you have an index.  If your database has
> a million records it needs to look at only 20 index entries, as 2^20 is
> about a million. (At least that's what I, naively, think it should do -
> anyone who knows more want to correct me?)
>
> --Phil.

-Achilleus