Re: cvsignore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: cvsignore
Date
Re: cvsignore  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I order to achieve that you would have to add *all* built files to
> cvsignore.  Surely you don't plan that?

Yes, I did plan that.

For my builds that is. If some other build environment creates other files
then here, then I can not add these to the ignore list (since I don't know
which files it is). People that use these build env. can add these files
if they want.

It's not like it's a big job. You just run cvs diff and it will say what
files it is, and all you have to do is to make sure it's a built file and
add it. One can also add globs in the ignore file so for the po directory
one adds *.mo and all the build .mo files are ignored. Same thing for the
lib*.so* files.

I have cvsignore files in all projects I handle myself.

One advantage of this is that you can do "cvs diff > foo.patch" and get a
patch file without a lot of garbage.

--
/Dennis Björklund