Re: a lot of problems with pg 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: a lot of problems with pg 7.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Kari Lavikka wrote:

> I evaluated pg 7.4 on our development server and it looked just fine
> but performance with production loads seems to be quite poor. Most of
> performance problems are caused by nonsensical query plans

Some of the estimates that pg made in the plans you showed was way off. I
assume you have run VACUUM ANALYZE recently? If that does not help maybe
you need to increaste the statistics gathering on some columns so that pg
makes better estimates. With the wrong statistics it's not strange that pg
chooses bad plans.

--
/Dennis