Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bret Busby
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:40:53 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> To: John Gibson <gib@edgate.com>
> Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training

> > > This is not exactly true. In the marketplace the Red Hat Linux
> > > certification (at least in the US) is pretty much considered the
> > > standard.
> >
> > This makes Bret's point for him.   Red Hat invested in providing
> > training.  It is just a de-facto standard, nothing more.
>
> Imagine if Linus or the Linux kernel guys tried to standardize Linux
> training --- it would be a mess.

But, is the LPI certification, not more generic than RH certification,
and, was that (the LPI certification) formulated by Linus?

Yet, is the LPI certification, not recognised, and, not regarded as
relatively generic, in terms of Linux certification?

It is a standard Linux certification, and, it is provided by
contractors, as mentioned below, in my reference below to Pearson Vue.

> Also, though lots of people want training, seems that want _free_
> training.  They aren't flooding my Atlanta classes, that's for sure.  I
> give classes at many conferences around the world too, and I get usually
> 20-40 people --- not exactly a flood either.  Maybe they want me to come
> to their house?  :-)  Tell me what your wife is cooking for dinner
> before I decide.  :-)

Perhaps the scenario should be considered, where, as I have previously
mentioned, in places like Perth, Western Australia, we do NOT have an
opportunity to get PostgreSQL training.

The only time that I have been aware of any event here, related to
PostgreSQL, was at the Linux Conference in January this year, where I
believe Gavin Sherry gave a presentation and a workshop, or something
like that, and, the only way to attend, was to attend the whole Linux
conference. It was, for Perth, a once-off occurrence, from what I
understand.

Formalised, standardised, structured, training and certifications, like,
as I have previously mentioned, the MySQL certifications that exist,
and that are planned, are independent of locality, and are available
across the world, even here, in Perth, Western Australia, as, because
they are formalised and standardised, they are offered by different
vendors, and, I believe, for example, that the MySQL certifications are
offered by three different institutions in Perth, all contractors to
Pearson Vue, I believe.

In the passage above by Bruce Momjian, whilst the sentence is missing
the qualifying words, I assume that it is intended to mean that all who
want training, want it for free. If that is the case, I believe that it
is wrong, and, so I disagree.

I believe that others, like me, would be happy to buy a Teach Yourself
PostgreSQL In 21 Days book, if it is available and reasonably priced,
and if the content is worthwhile, and, similarly, we would be willing to
pay for training and certifications, if they are worthwhile, and, for
that, as I have repeatedly mentioned, they would need to be formalised,
standardised, and, structured, so that they are meaningful and
worthwhile.

We do not need for a guru like Bruce Momjian, to travel from his home,
out to remote communities like Perth, Western Australia, to provide
training, so that people like us, get stuck with all of the overheads
that arise from paying travel and accommodation expenses for a guru to
visit to provide a short course. It should be able, as I have
previously mentioned, to be provided, as formalised, structured,
standardised training and certifications, so that local contractors can
provide it in their local communities, like the MySQL certifications.
And, allowing training and certifications to be so provided, can allow
people to obtain the training on either full-time or part-time-bases,
thus allowing flexibility that would be missing from a guru-based
fly-in-fly-out, intensive short course.

It may be noted that I have used, as much as possible, the plural,
certifications, rather than the singular, certification. This is because
I refer to a course of certifications, similar, for example, to the
course of MySQL certifications; the Core Certification, and the
Professional Certification, and, the planned MySQL and PHP
Certification, and, the planned DBA Certification - thus, My SQL have
four certifications, the first two existing, and the latter two, planned
to occur.

Oh, and, I am the cook in this house, and what is for dinner, depends on
what I find in the freezer (not frozen dinners!) and the cupboards, on
the day, and, the timing. But, you would have to beware of our cat.
:)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale