Re: clock_timestamp() and transaction_timestamp() function - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: clock_timestamp() and transaction_timestamp() function
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane writes:

> This is a nonstarter, as is the previous proposal to have a single
> function with an explicit parameter that selects the behavior.  The
> reason is that any such function would have to be treated as completely
> non-optimizable.

Why?  We would just need to ensure that the mode cannot be changed at
critical times.

> I am unconvinced that anyone has really proven the need for
> statement_timestamp,

Compatibility with other database systems might be one (if it is
accessible through current_timestamp).

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net