Re: disaster recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Colombo
Subject Re: disaster recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Craig O'Shannessy wrote:

> >  From my point of view, it's just support for my demands to have each
> > mission-critical server supported by a UPS, if not redundant power
> > supplies and two UPSes.
> >

> Never had a kernel panic?  I've had a few.  Probably flakey hardware. I
> feel safer since journalling file systems hit linux.

On any hardware flakey enough to cause panics, no FS code will save
you. The FS may "reliably" write total rubbish to disk. It may have been
doing that for hours, thrashing the whole FS structure, before something
triggered the panic.
You are no safer with journal than you are with a plain FAT (or any
other FS technology). Journal files get corrupted themselves.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /            Marco Colombo