Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> 1. Take out the character set conversion routines from the backend and
> make them a library of their own.  This could possibly be modelled after
> iconv, but not necessarily.  Or we might conclude that we can just use
> iconv in the first place.
>
> 2. Reimplement gettext to use 1. and allow switching of language and
> encoding at run-time.

Force all translations to be in unicode and convert to other client
encodings if needed. There is no need to support translations stored using
different encodings.

> 3. Implement Unicode collation algorithm and character classification
> routines that are aware of 1.  Use that in place of system locale
> routines.

Couldn't we use some library that already have this, like glib (or
something else). If it's not up to what we need, than fix that library
instead.

--
/Dennis