Re: BLOBs, pg_dump & pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Howard Lowndes
Subject Re: BLOBs, pg_dump & pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Howard Lowndes <lannet@lannet.com.au> writes:
> > Now, my concern is that if I use pg_dump with the --clean or --create, and
> > the --blobs options, and then try a pg_restore from the resulting archive
> > file, I believe the BLOBs will take up a different loid to the one they
> > came from, and hence the relation in my user table will be broken
>
> No, because pg_restore has logic to adjust the references to match the
> new BLOB OIDs.  If you have a test case where this fails to work, let's
> see it ...

No, I don't have any example, it is an enquiry.  What I am reading into
the above however is that the loid column in my table should have a
CONSTRAINT REFERENCES clause to whereever in the system large objects
table.  Correct?

> > My other problem is that the various functions in PHP, namely the various
> > pg_lo_* functions do not appear to have the ability to include the comment
> > option that is available to \lo_import under psql.
>
> psql is out on a limb claiming that LOs can have comments --- there's no
> support for that in the backend or any other client application.  It's
> doing it by direct manual injection of entries into the pg_description
> system catalog, which is why superuser privilege is needed.  It's a
> useful hack if you only use psql, but still a hack.  Feel free to
> contribute a patch for backend COMMENT ON LARGE OBJECT support, if you'd
> like to see a better level of support for this.

Sorry, way beyond my competency level.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>