Re: - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Serguei A. Mokhov
Subject Re:
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Hiroshi Saito wrote:

> From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>
>
> > Serguei A. Mokhov wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I think I have a similar issue... A pgAdmin III user contacted me
> > >with the question why they can't see the data in Russian and how to
> > >to solve the problem. I queried them for more information. I think
> > >their data must be encoded in some other encoding (e.g. KOI8-R) and
> > >when it gets to the client side, it's not converted.
> > >

> > This is correctly diagnosed, non-ascii data in a SQL_ASCII encoded
> > database will not be shown because the server doesn't know how to
> > encode it in Unicode.
> >
> > This is fixed for HEAD and BRANCH.
>
> No.
> Server encoding as below.
> -- SQL_ASCII --> UNICODE
> CREATE DEFAULT CONVERSION pg_catalog.ascii_to_utf_8 FOR 'SQL_ASCII' TO 'UNICODE' FROM ascii_to_utf8;
> -- UNICODE --> SQL_ASCII
> CREATE DEFAULT CONVERSION pg_catalog.utf_8_to_ascii FOR 'UNICODE' TO 'SQL_ASCII' FROM utf8_to_ascii;

Yes, I know about existance of this conversion (as well as about the
KOI8-R one).  It's been there for ages... I'll report back once the user
gets back to me on that. I'm not sure though whether they'd be willing to
pull the stuff from the CVS and compile it -- even you guys recommend to
use the binaries... ;)

--
Serguei A. Mokhov            |  /~\    The ASCII
Computer Science Department  |  \ / Ribbon Campaign

    "I swear, education is the only industry, where
      the consumer is happier when they get less
       for their money" -- Julia Timofeev