Re: making 7.4 beta2 on Mac OS x - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: making 7.4 beta2 on Mac OS x
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I is not a bug.

Its just your OSX is too conservative regarding
IPC defaults.

Consider changing these variables:

kern.ipc.shmmax
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys (for performance only)
kern.ipc.shmall

They apply to FreeBSD, but OSX must have something similar.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Theodore Petrosky wrote:

> I thought I would try to make 7.4beta2 on my os X
> machine. I used the default ./configure then make.
> make says everything is ok to install so I tried a
> make check.. this is my error log.
>
> gcc is set for 3.1
> os X 10.2.6.
>
> I don't know if this is just a 'make check' problem or
> if what I have is NFG.
>
> Ted
>

> Running in noclean mode.  Mistakes will not be cleaned
> up.
> The files belonging to this database system will be
> owned by user "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale
> C.
>
> creating directory
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data...
> ok
> creating directory
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base...
> ok
> creating directory
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/global...
> ok
> creating directory
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/pg_xlog...
> ok
> creating directory
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/pg_clog...
> ok
> selecting default shared_buffers... 200
> selecting default max_connections... 30
> creating configuration files... ok
> creating template1 database in
> /Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base/1...
> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment:
> Invalid argument
> DETAIL:  Failed syscall was shmget(key=1,
> size=10444800, 03600).
> HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's
> request for a shared memory segment exceeded your
> kernel's SHMMAX parameter.  You can either reduce the
> request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger
> SHMMAX. To reduce the request size (currently 10444800
> bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter
> (currently 1000) and/or its max_connections parameter
> (currently 100).
> If the request size is already small, it's possible
> that it is less than your kernel's SHMMIN parameter,
> in which case raising the request size or
> reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.
> The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information
> about shared memory configuration.
>
> initdb: failed
> initdb: data directory
> "/Users/postgres/postgres/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data"
> not removed at user's request

> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-210-8981112
fax:    +30-210-8981877
email:  achill at matrix dot gatewaynet dot com
        mantzios at softlab dot ece dot ntua dot gr