Re: Apparently the real competition is Sybase... - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Pohl
Subject Re: Apparently the real competition is Sybase...
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 21 Aug 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> To be honest I can't recall ever using it, but I can't imagine sybase
> having better scaling, data protection, or better SQL command set than
> postgresql. Anyone have the insider knowledge on what makes sybase so
> good or can we chalk this one up to the "clueless pundit" factor?

My employer is (and by association I am as well) a long-time user of
Sybase for internal workflow, Peoplesoft integration, and e-commerce
projects.  When I first started knocking around with db-driven stuff for
my own web projects about four years ago, I used MySQL.  Then I started
missing the stored procedures, triggers, transactions, foreign keys and
the like that I was used to with Sybase.  So I migrated to PostgreSQL.
I've had very positive experiences with both Sybase and PostgreSQL.  I've
never had to administer Sybase though, so I can't speak to that.

michael