Re: [PERFORM] Extreme high load averages - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Dennis Björklund
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Extreme high load averages
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Martin Foster wrote:

> The processor seems to be purposely sitting there twiddling it's thumbs.
>   Which leads me to believe that perhaps the nice levels have to be
> changed on the server itself?

It could also be all the usual things that affect performance. Are your
queries using indexes where it should? Do you vacuum analyze after you
have updated/inserted a lot of data?

It could be that some of your queries is not as efficient as it should,
like doing a sequenctial scan over a table instead of an index scan. That
translates into more IO needed and slower response times. Especially when
you have more connections figthing for the available IO.

--
/Dennis