Re: Setting locale per connection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Behdad Esfahbod
Subject Re: Setting locale per connection
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >> so I have wrote my 10lines function as a wrapper around
> >> setlocale, that is attached.
>
> Indeed, this is exactly why Postgres goes out of its way to prevent you
> from changing the backend's collation setting on-the-fly.  The proposed
> function is a great way to shoot yourself in the foot :-(.  If you doubt
> it, check the archives from two or three years ago when we did not have
> the interlock to force LC_COLLATE to be frozen at initdb time ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

So, assuming I want to go for the right way, I've just seen the
column-based LC_COLLATE in the TODO list.  Is there any more
information about that?

behdad

--
Behdad Esfahbod        11 Tir 1382, 2003 Jul 2
http://behdad.org/    [Finger for Geek Code]

If you do a job too well, you'll get stuck with it.