Re: "deadlock detected" documentation - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From A.Bhuvaneswaran
Subject Re: "deadlock detected" documentation
Date
List pgsql-sql
> I just got a "deadlock detected" SQL error from the backend.  I've never
> received one of these before, but I just released new pooling code, so
> I'm concerned.
>
> Can someone point me to documentation on what this is and how to prevent
> it?  [My search on the newsgroups yielded far too much for me to read.]

Deadlock occurs when two transactions try to wait for each other. In other
words, if two processes try to update two tables which have a reference to
same table, deadlock is detected. I donot know whether it is a bug or
bottle neck in postgresql. Mostly it can be avoided using locks. For
details, refer,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=sql-lock.html

regards,
bhuvaneswaran