Time zone abbreviations and calendars - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Time zone abbreviations and calendars
Date
Re: Time zone abbreviations and calendars  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Considering the time zone abbreviations that are accepted on input, I find
a couple of bogosities:

WDT    +09:00    West Australian Daylight Time
AWST    +08:00    Australia Western Standard Time
WADT    +08:00    West Australian Daylight Time
WST    +08:00    West Australian Standard Time
WAST    +07:00    West Australian Standard Time

At least two of these are evidently wrong.  Who knows which?

FWT    +02:00    French Winter Time
FST    +01:00    French Summer Time

These are mixed up.  (I doubt these abbreviations even need to exist.
France uses Central European Time.)

I also have some doubts about the terminology offered in the "History of
Units" section.  It says

Julian day    = invented by Scaliger, counts days from 1 January 4713 BC
Julian date    = invented by Caesar, predecessor of modern calendar

However, my sources say that the first is the "Julian date" and the second
is simply the Julian calendar.  Ideas?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net