Re: Time zone abbreviations and calendars - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Time zone abbreviations and calendars
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Considering the time zone abbreviations that are accepted on input, I find
> a couple of bogosities:

Presumably we can get some local knowledge on those items from list
members.  I believe that Thomas created the TZ tables on the basis of
including everything he could find mentioned in the zic database, so
there very probably are some entries in there that are not in current
use.  I don't see any need to remove such entries, unless they actively
conflict with more-current usage.

> I also have some doubts about the terminology offered in the "History of
> Units" section.  It says
> Julian day    = invented by Scaliger, counts days from 1 January 4713 BC
> Julian date    = invented by Caesar, predecessor of modern calendar
> However, my sources say that the first is the "Julian date" and the second
> is simply the Julian calendar.  Ideas?

I believe you are correct on both points.