Re: Connection pool deadlock - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Aaron Mulder
Subject Re: Connection pool deadlock
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 6 Mar 2003, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Why not ? The pool size could be dynamic, to accommodate the demand...
> IIRC, the apache HTTP connection pool is also configurable to
> grow/shrink. The same principles could apply here.

    Let's say you set your pool size to 10, but really you're willing
to have it use up to 100 connections.  So you complain that we block you
after 10.  Instead, you can set it to 100 connections in the first place.
They still won't be actually opened unless they're needed.  I wouldn't
want to make a totally open-ended pool, but if you do, you can set the
maxConnections to 0, which means "unlimited".
    So the only issue here is shrinking, which was not implemented
because no one seemed to care.  Is that still the case?

Aaron