Re: Four questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From owner
Subject Re: Four questions
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> > 1. how can i get count of result's rows where i declare cursor ??
>
> Nothing in DECLARE will tell you this: you will have to do a
> SELECT COUNT(*) using the same WHERE clause as the DECLARE to figure
> this out. You can always set aside a set amount of memory and only FETCH
> that many rows each time of course:
>
> FETCH 23 FROM mycursor;

    hmm, this select its very big select, including many tables and
throught func. Making this same query 2 times is without any sens,
pointless. I make this select trought libpq, from server to others PC, and
every Exec need same time, and befor dowloading rows to client memory i
need to know exacly how big is select .... :/

> > 2. I sometime select look like for example select 123 as "Foo 3" , 456 as
> > "Foo 4 ... ", and writing where is fanny.. in select should be somthing
> > like [] what == name of col. select would look : "select 232 as "QWE RTYU"
> > where [1] LIKE 'QWE%'; like in C or C++ or in any other lang.
>
> You can use aliases in the WHERE clause, but you must be careful about it.
>
> Not sure what you are asking here, maybe you could ask again with a
> different example?

    For example i do select and i dont know name of the cols, but i
know type, and count of cos, and i want to do what i can do with ORDER
 : select * from func() where [1] != NULL order by 1;
[1] == name of first col in this select

> > 3. Good thing will be to have somthing like suid in functions. When I do
> > select some_func ('arg1', 2 ,3 ) ; function should read table, and all
> > object like owner of this function.
>
> Functions are run with the same privileges as the user that calls it by default.
> You can change this by adding "SECURITY DEFINER" when creating the function:
>
> http://www.gtsm.com:81/cgi/psearch?page=sql-createfunction.html;q=security;j=on;c=0;h=1

    then i can use same func like other user ?