Re: Announce: A pure-Tcl interface to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From C. Maj
Subject Re: Announce: A pure-Tcl interface to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, ljb waxed:

> Announcing the first public release of a Tcl interface to PostgreSQL
> which is written entirely in Tcl. It is mostly but not entirely
> command-compatible with libpgtcl, and should run everywhere Tcl runs
> with no compilation needed.

Hooray !

> For more information see:  http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgintcl/
> The current release 1.3.9 is available for download.

I'm just curious how you got to 1.3.9 without a public release...

> Before you ask, it does not yet work with PGAccess. When there is a stable,
> working version of PGAccess, I will provide a patch to PGAccess for it.

If you need help just starting PgAccess, please use our
support@pgaccess.org email.  We could always use some more Tcl coders.

But in regards to the "README.PgAccess" file included in the pgintcl
download and the "known issues" with PgAccess and pgin.tcl :

2. Connecting - easy, except your code will break UDS and force TCP/IP
3. Import/Export - easy if you force the wizard when you decide to use
pgin.tcl, as the wizard uses SELECT/INSERT vs. the old COPY

Given that #2 and #3 would change behavior of PgAccess, I would
recommend that the use of any patch for pgin.tcl be available as a
command-line option.  This way, users could specify whether they want to
use libpgtcl or pgin.tcl, and we could code around it where necessary.

--Chris

--

Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
0xC0051F6A