Re: automatic time/user stamp - rule or trigger? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: automatic time/user stamp - rule or trigger?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Neal Lindsay wrote:

> I have a table that I want to keep track of the user who last modified
> it and the timestamp of the modification. Should I use a trigger or a rule?
>
> CREATE TABLE stampedtable (
>     stampedtableid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>     updatestamp timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT now(),
>     updateuser name NOT NULL DEFAULT current_user,
>     sometext text
> );
>
> I suspect that I want a rule, but all the examples in the documentation
> seem to update a separate table and not override (or add) the
> insert/update to the timestamp and name columns.

You may want to use rules if you need rewriting.
What you actually need is some sort of driver to a specific table.
You could create a view to that table (to hide the accounting columns),
and then create rules on that view that do the job as you wish.

> Thanks,
> -Neal

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Achilleus Mantzios