Re: optimal sql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: optimal sql
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Michael Paesold wrote:

> Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
>
> > For a) do all the necessary tuning on PostgreSQL.
> > With 1GB of Mem, you could set a value of shared_buffers to 100000.
>
> Perhaps just a type, but that is way to much! It would mean about 800 Mb
> shared buffers! I would rather suggest a value between 1000 and 10000. See
> recent descussions on -performance and -hackers mailing lists.

Personally i found only performance improvement when increasing
shared_buffers. (but then again i speak for me and my queries).
The 100,000 value was certainly not a typo (provided he doesnt run
X11,KDE, mozilla, etc... on his server) but maybe too high.
Some people say 25% of the total Mem is a good rule of thumb, but
testing for his specific query must be made.

> Best Regards,
> Michael Paesold

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Achilleus Mantzios