Search and Replace - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Randy D. McCracken
Subject Search and Replace
Date
Re: Search and Replace  ("Rajesh Kumar Mallah." <mallah@trade-india.com>)
Re: Search and Replace  ("Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu>)
List pgsql-sql
I apologize for having to resort to sending what is most likely a simple
tech support question regarding PostgreSQL to this list but I have not
been able to find the answer in the documentation.

I am responsible for managing a database containing over 6,000 records of
US Forest Service Research publications
(http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/search.jsp) and I need to do a simple
search and replace in one of the columns.  In these records we have a
field for URLs of the location the research publications and I need to
change the base URL from www.srs.fs.fed.us to www.srs.fs.usda.gov.  It
seems like this "search and replace" would be a simple thing to do with an
UPDATE command but I am having great difficulty making this work.

The table definition I am trying to update is: url.  At first I thought
about using a simple UPDATE command like this:

UPDATE publications SET url = 'www.srs.fs.usda.gov' WHERE url =
'www.srs.fs.fed.us';

Of course that would work fine but "www.srs.fs.fed.us" is only part of a
complete URL such as: http://www.srs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rp/rp_se263.pdf.  My
problem (among other things!) is that I don't know how to pass along
wildcards so that I do not change the other parts of the complete URL.  I
have tried substituting "like" for "=" and trying to use the wildcard of
"%" but to no avail.  I am really just guessing here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

--rdm

Randy D. McCracken      (0>